UK based Daily Mail has published excerpts from the 'Up Close and Personal' book by Robert Beasley which focuses on José Mourinho's spell at Real Madrid.
The coach from Setubal confesses in the book that “Real Madrid has it all except for team-spirit”. Mourinho also claims that he was surprised with the selection of Rafa Benítez as Madrid coach and confesses to Beasley that Florentino Pérez offered the Portuguese coach the possibility of a return to the Bernabeau before finally opting for Benitez: “The president values me and wanted me to return to Real Madrid and oversee a clear-out which would have included players such as Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo… I told him that it was too late”.
Zidane was also discussed before the decision to bring in Benítez: “He was considered due to his profile and status, but he made a mess of things at Castilla and Perez was worried about taking a risk. Klopp was another name highly touted but never Rafa”. Mourinho was wrong ultimately as Benítez got the job.
According to Beasley, Mourinho felt that there was too much political wrangling at Real Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?