UK based Daily Mail has published excerpts from the 'Up Close and Personal' book by Robert Beasley which focuses on José Mourinho's spell at Real Madrid.
The coach from Setubal confesses in the book that “Real Madrid has it all except for team-spirit”. Mourinho also claims that he was surprised with the selection of Rafa Benítez as Madrid coach and confesses to Beasley that Florentino Pérez offered the Portuguese coach the possibility of a return to the Bernabeau before finally opting for Benitez: “The president values me and wanted me to return to Real Madrid and oversee a clear-out which would have included players such as Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo… I told him that it was too late”.
Zidane was also discussed before the decision to bring in Benítez: “He was considered due to his profile and status, but he made a mess of things at Castilla and Perez was worried about taking a risk. Klopp was another name highly touted but never Rafa”. Mourinho was wrong ultimately as Benítez got the job.
According to Beasley, Mourinho felt that there was too much political wrangling at Real Madrid.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?