Ronaldo reacts badly to Zidane taking him off against Las Palmas
Zidane took Cristiano Ronaldo off in the 71st minute of the match against Las Palmas. The Real Madrid striker was clearly unhappy at the decision and refused to look at his coach.
Zidane takes Ronaldo off
Zinedine Zidane decided to bring Cristiano Ronaldo off in the 71st minute of Real Madrid's LaLiga Santander match against Las Palmas in the Estadio Gran Canario, with the score at 1-2. Ronaldo was having an off night and Zidane decided to bring on Lucas Vázquez.
Ronaldo angry at being substituted
As soon as Real Madrid saw the change he strode towards the dug-out, a grim look on his face, muttering, while the Las Palmas fans booed him.
Upon reaching the pitch side Zidane came out to meet the striker, and offered him his hand. Ronaldo took it, but without so much as a glance at his French coach. His displeasure with the decision was evident to everyone in the stadium, and the global television audience.
Ronaldo disgusted with draw
Once sat in the dug out he ripped off his wrist tape and hurled it angrily on the ground. He continued to glare as the match proceeded before him, with his look turning icy when Las Palmas equalised to make it 2-2. The match finished with a draw, Real Madrid's second in a row, in a league where dropped points will almost certainly be highly influential come May.
Ronaldo: "wants to play every minute"
Zidane has previously said he doesn't talk to Cristiano about how much the Portuguese striker should play, because "he wants to play every minute". The Real Madrid coach took Ronaldo off tonight and showed just how right that statement was.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness