Varane: it's time to decide
It’s not very common to see a defender who is capable of beating Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang comfortably in a sprint as Raphael Varane did in Dortmund. In the Westfalenstadion the France international again displayed his exceptional abilities in a match that was very tricky for a central defender. But Varane is finding it difficult to find the regular playing time necessary to fully realize his potential and he rarely plays two consecutive games at the highest level.
The Varane on display in Dortmund has the potential to be the leader of Real’s back four for several years but he has to bring out the best in himself with greater frequency and authority. He has to demonstrate that his knee and his head are prepared to play two demanding games a week.
When he plays like he did in Germany Varane appears impregnable, but then too much time passes with no further headlines. That he is a wonderful player is not in doubt; the question is whether he wants to be a good defender who passed through Madrid leaving behind some quality performances or if he wants to become the heartbeat of the Real defence. It’s time for him to decide…
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA HEAT CHECK NBA: George, Middleton make moves but half-fit Harden hinders Nets
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics without fans a 'definite possibility' - Japan PM
- FC BARCELONA Barcelona's Laporta says Super League will still go ahead
- FOOTBALL Barcelona: Laporta out to bring Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi together
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...
- NBA Booker plays down first triple-double after Suns take Game 1