Varane: it's time to decide
It’s not very common to see a defender who is capable of beating Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang comfortably in a sprint as Raphael Varane did in Dortmund. In the Westfalenstadion the France international again displayed his exceptional abilities in a match that was very tricky for a central defender. But Varane is finding it difficult to find the regular playing time necessary to fully realize his potential and he rarely plays two consecutive games at the highest level.
The Varane on display in Dortmund has the potential to be the leader of Real’s back four for several years but he has to bring out the best in himself with greater frequency and authority. He has to demonstrate that his knee and his head are prepared to play two demanding games a week.
When he plays like he did in Germany Varane appears impregnable, but then too much time passes with no further headlines. That he is a wonderful player is not in doubt; the question is whether he wants to be a good defender who passed through Madrid leaving behind some quality performances or if he wants to become the heartbeat of the Real defence. It’s time for him to decide…
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS $400 unemployment benefits boost: why could it be delayed?
- coronavirus Over 27,000 health workers infected with Covid-19 in South Africa
- Champions League Barcelona vs Bayern Munich Preview
- USMNT Adams becomes first US men's player to score in Champions League quarter final or later
- Champions League Bayern Munich are playing Barcelona, not just Messi - Flick