What's up with Benzema?
The French striker only touched the ball five times in 45 minutes of football yesterday at the Bernabeu and was subbed at the break.
Karim Benzema is going through a fallow period of his career and this was none more evident than during the first period of yesterday's LaLiga match at the Santiago Bernabeu as Real Madrid entertained Basque side Eibar.
Incredibly the French forward only touched the ball on five occasions (data via Opta stats.) during the forty five minutes of football. In contrast, midfielder Toni Kroos came into contact with the ball on 38 occasions, shooting twice and making 17 accurate passes. Benzema's striking partner Gareth Bale was also active during the half making 17, having three goal-scoring chances and bagging one headed goal.
Benzema's 2016/17 campaign has been hampered with his hip problem and this was fundamental in depriving the forward of not being able to complete normal pre-season training. The Lyon born player has played in 5 LaLiga games, missing the first two due to injury but has failed to complete 90 minutes in any game. Including European apencares Benzema has played for a total of 458 minutes scoring twice in that time (against Espanyol and Las Palmas) and provided one Champions League last week against Dortmund.
Zidane is still optimistic that Benzema is on the road to recovering his maximum form: “It's important that we get Benzema back to his best and I see a gradual progression".
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up