I was close to international retirement, says Angel Di Maria
The PSG forward says he could have followed Leo Messi out the door after Argentina’s heartbreaking Copa América loss to Chile.
If recent comments Angel Di Maria are to be believed, Leo Messi wasn’t the only player considering retirement from international football following Argentina’s Copa América loss to Chile this summer.
The Barcelona star announced that he would no longer play for the national side directly following the final, but later retracted his decision.
Di Maria, close to international retirement
Now Di Maria, who plays for PSG under Unai Emery in Ligue 1, says he could have gone down the same route as his teammate.
“I thought that Leo wouldn’t be back, that it was a decision he’d thought through, but I think that it was something he said in the heat of the moment,” he told Tyc Sports. “These things go through your head. It’s hard for us and our families.”
“It was a difficult moment and I really did think of leaving [the international set-up],” he continued. “My wife and my father persuaded me to stay. It was impossible to say I was done.”
Psychological help to deal with injuries
Di Maria has suffered persistent injury problems in recent years and says that he has even considered visiting a psychologist.
“I find it hard not to think about my injuries,” he said. “The last time I was injured I had to laugh because I just couldn’t believe it. I spoke with my family and really thought about speaking with a psychologist. They supported me.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Space Missions Where did the SpaceX capsule splashdown?
- NFL Colts vs Rams: Eric Fisher possible starter, coming back after Achilles surgery
- Not this one Jimmy Greaves 1940-2021: English football's greatest ever goalscorer
- Soccer Crisis at Manchester United: Solskjaer rejects Ferdinand's Ronaldo
- PREMIER LEAGUE West Ham vs Manchester United live online: scores, stats and updates, Premier League 2020/21
- NBA NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo visits Greece with mother and brother