Athletic Bilbao edge five-goal Basque derby thriller
Goals from Iker Muniain, Aritz Aduriz and Iñaki Williams handed Athletic their first win over Real Sociedad since 2012.
Athletic Bilbao continued their strong run of form on Sunday afternoon as they topped Real Sociedad in a pulsating 3-2 Basque derby win at San Mamés, a result that leaves Ernesto Valverde’s side just three points behind league leaders Atlético Madrid.
Sociedad led 0-1 at the break, pegged back by Muniain
The visitors took the lead against the run of play after 17 minutes when David Zurutuza volleyed home Xabi Prieto's corner. Athletic pushed forward but Real Sociedad held on until half-time thanks to a stunning performance from goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli.
Iker Muniain finally levelled six minutes into the second-half with a brilliant effort from outside the box that curled in off the far post that left Rulli helpless.
Aduriz and Williams give Athletic the three points
Sociedad then caused their own downfall as they were twice caught in possession deep inside their own half. The evergreen Aritz Aduriz chipped home Athletic's second on the hour mark before teeing up Iñaki Williams for the third ten minutes later.
Íñigo Martinez's fine header from a narrow angle gave the visitors hope seven minutes from time but Athletic held on for their first win over their Basque rivals since 2012.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?