Nadal calls time on season to recover from wrist injury
The former world number one brought his 2016 season to an end on Thursday, saying he needed to fully recover from the left wrist injury he suffered midway through the year.
Former world number one Rafael Nadal called time on his 2016 season on Thursday saying he needed to fully recover from the left wrist injury he suffered midway through the year.
Recovering from injury
The Spanish 14-times gram slam champion said he would play no more tournaments and would instead begin 'preparing intensively' for the 2017 season. The 30-year-old left hander was forced to pull out of this year's French Open before his third round match, ending his pursuit of an record-extending 10th Roland Garros title, and also missed Wimbledon because of the injury.
Olympic gold followed by overload
He returned to win a gold medal in doubles with Marc Lopez at the Rio Olympics but his results since have been disappointing and he lost his opening match to Viktor Troicki at the Shanghai Masters this month. While the original wrist tendon has improved considerably a statement from Nadal's management said he had suffered a 'bone edema' due to an overload on a different area of the joint.
Looking forward to 2017
"It is no secret that I arrived to the Olympic Games short of preparation and not fully recovered, but the goal was to compete and win a medal for Spain,' Nadal said. 'This forced recovery has caused me pain since then and now I am forced to stop and start preparing the 2017 season".
Te recomendamos en English
- COPA AMERICA Uruguay fire blank in Argentina loss but Tabarez's legend grows
- EURO 2020 Portugal in form but can Ronaldo, Santos and co be fun?
- REAL MADRID Pau Torres, a future option for Real Madrid
- SERIE A Mourinho ready for Roma challenge after past mistakes
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid ready to sell Jovic
- NBA Which teams have played in the NBA Eastern Conference finals the most?