Sergio Busquets criticises LaLiga’s Saturday scheduling
Barcelona face Valencia on Saturday afternoon just three days after their Champions League tie with Manchester City. Real Madrid, Atlético and Sevilla all play on Sunday.
His comments went more or less unnoticed, as was to be expected following Leo Messi’s virtuoso hat-trick performance against Manchester City on Wednesday evening, but Sergio Busquets produced some of the most interesting comments of the night.
Why are Barcelona playing on Saturday, says Busquets
Busquets, one of Barcelona’s club captains, openly criticised LaLiga’s decision to schedule his side’s fixture with Valencia on Saturday afternoon.
“Now we have to think about resting and preparing for Valencia, a match we know will be difficult,” he said. “We would have liked to rest more but we’re playing on Saturday. It’s the league schedule but we’re not even playing next week…”
Real Madrid, Atlético and Sevilla will have more time to rest
Clearly the decision to hold the match, often a tricky fixture for Barcelona and one that Luis Enrique’s team will face with a number of key injury absences, so early in the weekend has upset some within the club. Both Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid, as well as third-placed Sevilla, play on Sunday.
Barcelona don’t have any midweek games next week, raising the question as to why they’ve been chosen to play early. The club hasn’t voiced any kind of opposition, however, leaving it to a club captain to speak up.
- Luis Suárez6Goals
*Update 20 de octubre de 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT Global Citizen 2021 live online: singers, performances and concerts
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 2021 Why is the White House planning for a government shutdown?
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: how many signatures does the petition for the new payment have?
- SERIE A Honours even between Inter and Atalanta at San Siro
- PREMIER LEAGUE Enthralling Brentford-Liverpool clash ends with honours even
- SOCCER Man City: Guardiola "proud" after breaking record in Chelsea win