Prolific Carrasco leads Atlético Madrid past Málaga
Yannick Carrasco has begun this season in fine goalscoring form and didn’t disappoint on Saturday afternoon. His brace, along with another from summer signing Kevin Gameiro, powered Atlético Madrid to a hard-fought 4-2 win over visitors Málaga to keep up the pressure on city rivals Real Madrid at the top of the LaLiga table.
Carrasco’s goals were his sixth and seventh in his last four games, a goal scoring spree that has led Atlético to second in the table after an indifferent start back in August and early September.
Carrasco delighted with match-winning brace
The Belgian international told reporters after the game, unsurprisingly, that he’s delighted with his recent form.
“I feel really good, it’s thanks to the team that I feel this way,” he said with a very Simeone-like focus on the team. “I’m delighted. This was a tough game and we dealt with it very well.”
The Belgian's fine form rewarded with a new deal
Carrasco’s fine form this year has not gone unnoticed. He recently signed a new long-term deal with Atlético that will keep him at the Vicente Calderón until 2022, upping his buy-out clause from €40 million to a hefty €100 million to ward off reported interest from the Premier League.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future