Champions League: What do Real Madrid need to qualify?
Real missed the chance to seal a place in the last 16 earlier in November, but can do it at the second attempt against Sporting Lisbon.
Chance to claim last-16 berth spurned at Legia
Real faced Legia Warsaw on the previous matchday knowing a win, coupled with a Borussia Dortmund victory over Sporting, would send them into the last 16.
But despite Dortmund triumphing at Signal Iduna Park, Zinedine Zidane's men were made to wait for their knockout-stage spot after being held to a 3-3 stalemate.
Point in Portugal will end Sporting hopes
Now, a draw at third-placed Sporting - five points behind Real, who sit second with two games left - will ensure the hosts cannot catch Los Blancos.
After visiting the Estadio Jose Alvalade, Madrid finish off the group stage at home to already-through Borussia on 7 December.
Their fate also remains in their own hands in their bid to come top: a pair of victories against Sporting and Dortmund will guarantee first.
Second place could yield better draw
Curiously, the Champions League holders could receive an easier round-of-16 draw even if they come second. The full story on that is here.
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history