Iago Aspas replaces injured Diego Costa in Spain squad
The Chelsea striker hadn't trained all this week after taking a knock against Everton and has now been been replaced by Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas in the squad for the game against Macedonia.
Diego Costa has failed to recover in time from a groin injury he picked up against Everton on the weekend, causing Spain coach Julen Lopetegui to call up Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas in his place for the World Cup 2018 European Qualifier against Macedonia on Saturday (20:45 CET).
The Brazil-born Spanish striker hadn’t trained this week and after undergoing further tests on Thursday he was deemed unfit to travel with the rest of the squad to Granada.
Morata ready to deputise
Costa's absence means Real Madrid’s Álvaro Morata is set to start the game this weekend, with Athletic Bilbao’s Aritz Aduriz also ready to deputise.
The Chelsea forward - who is currently top goalscorer in the Premier League - will now return to Stamford Bridge to continue his recuperation and will miss the friendly with England at Wembley next week.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms