Benzema, Casemiro and Pepe face late fitness tests ahead of derby
The injured trio will undergo fitness tests on Thursday to determine whether they are ready to be named in Zinedine Zidane's Real Madrid squad for the crunch match versus Atletico. Real Madrid v. Málaga live online
Real Madrid trio Karim Benzema, Casemiro and Pepe will face fitness tests on Thursday to determine whether they’ve recovered sufficiently from their respective injuries to be named in the squad for Saturday’s Madrid derby.
Still not in full training
The three continued to train away from the rest of the group on Wednesday, leaving their chances of participating in the crunch LaLiga clash against city rivals Atletico up in the air. If any of the three are called up to the squad, then it would be fair to say none will be running at 100%.
Benzema’s chances of making the team however have perhaps been boosted by the news that Álvaro Morata will miss the game with a hamstring injury. The Spanish striker will potentially be out for four weeks with the suspected muscle tear, meaning Zidane could take the decision to go with the Frenchman even if he isn’t fully fit.
Chance for Mariano?
The only other out-and-out centre-forward at Real Madrid is Mariano, though he has made just one start this season (in the Copa del Rey vs Cultural Leonesa).
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth