Benzema passes fitness test ahead of Madrid derby
The French striker will now be named in the squad for the Atletico game after recovering from injury, and could even start given Morata's absence. Casemiro and Pepe look set to miss out however.
A day after Real Madrid revealed that Álvaro Morata has torn his hamstring and will be out for up to a month, Zinedine Zidane has received some better news. That is because Karim Benzema passed a fitness test on Thursday and took part in full training two days before the Madrid derby.
Benzema to make squad
The French striker, who was injured in the Champions League match at Legia Warsaw, is now set to be named in Zidane’s squad to face Atlético Madrid at the Vicente Calderón on Saturday and could even start the crunch LaLiga clash given the absence of Morata.
4-4-2 for derby?
Zidane’s usual policy, however, is not to rush players back and the coach is said to be considering a 4-4-2 formation with Lucas Vazquez on the right, Isco or Asensio on the left, Cristiano and Bale up front, and Benzema on the bench.
Casemiro, Pepe will miss out
Real Madrid’s other injured pair, Casemiro and Pepe, meanwhile look set to miss out on the derby after failing to join in full training on Thursday. Both had their eyes on this fixture, and looked be recovering well enough in time, but the club do not want to risk aggravating issues by fielding them too early.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands