Raphael Varane onside for Real's opener in Lisbon
The France defender was marginally onside when he received the ball on the rebound from Cristiano Ronaldo's shot. Sporting protested otherwise.
Despite Sporting’s protests to the contrary, Raphael Varane was onside when he thrashed a close range shot past Rui Patricio in the José Alvalade. Although it appeared as though the Real defender may have been slightly ahead of the Sporting defence when he received the ball on the rebound from Cristiano Ronaldo’s shot, replays showed he was just in a legal position.
The move started from a Luka Modric free-kick in the 29th minute, which Ronaldo got on the end of. The Portuguese’s attempt was blocked but fell invitingly to Varane, who belted a left-footed shot past Patricio.
Martins penalty appeal
At the other end, Gelson Martins and the rest of the home side in unison claimed a penalty when Marcelo brought the Sporting youngster down just on the edge of the area in the 39th minute.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7