Nacho challenges Ramos for a starting berth
Nacho quietly gains ground
It still isn’t clear just how good Nacho is, and we’re yet to fully grasp it despite the fact he’s already 26. However, it's hard to recall too many mistakes, despite the one he made yesterday that could have cost his team dearly. Nacho plays where he is asked to play and is rarely below par. Against Sporting Gijón he started on the left and afforded his team width, defensive solidity and sent in a peach of a cross with his left peg which curled beautifully onto Ronaldo’s head for Madrid’s second.
Pushing for a place
The Portuguese striker admitted that he owed much of that goal to Nacho and the Spaniard is no longer just there to make up the numbers; he is now staking his claim for a starting place and Sergio Ramos currently has a fight on his hands. Despite his slip – positioned in the centre alongside Pepe to make way for Marcelo, he mistimed his tack to concede the penalty that Cop subsequently missed – Nacho is one of those unsung heroes who is becoming a key member of the Madrid squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Bulgarian football chief resigns after racist abuse
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Leganés paid a fine for not playing Lunin last season
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid look to Haaland, Odegaard and the Gudjohnsens
- BARCELONA Barcelona did not play youth tournament over Spain shirt
- FOOTBALL Ronaldo's milestones on the way to 700 goals
- REAL MADRID Jovic's father defends his son for playing with Madrid after injury
- INTER MILAN Sánchez may require surgery on ankle injury, Inter confirm
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Robert Moreno asks for three wins