Marin Cilic and Ivan Dodig saw off Argentina’s doubles team of Juan Martín del Potro and Leonardo Mayer 7-6, 7-6, 6-3 in Saturday's doubles to open up a 2-1 lead in the best of five Davis Cup final going into the decisive day at the Zagreb Arena on Sunday.
Olympic silver medallist Del Potro, who has bounced back after two injury-ravaged seasons, must beat sixth-ranked Cilic in Sunday's reverse singles to keep alive Argentina’s hopes of a first Davis Cup title.
"I'm confident I have enough left in the tank"
"Del Potro is an incredibly good player but I am confident I have enough left in the tank to finish the job," said Cilic.
However, should Del Potro extend the tie 37-year-old Ivo Karlovic -- the oldest player to feature in a Davis Cup singles match since 43-year-old Australian Norman Brookes in 1920 -- and Federico Delbonis would then face off in the deciding rubber.
Croatia defeated Slovakia in 2005 for the country's only Davis Cup title, while Argentina -- beaten by Spain in both 2008 and 2011 -- have finished runners-up four times.
Former US Open champion Cilic gave Croatia the upper hand in Zagreb by winning Friday's opening singles rubber against Delbonis before Del Potro levelled for Argentina with a four-set win over Karlovic.
Both Cilic and Del Potro were drafted in for Saturday's doubles with the former teaming up with Dodig to claim the first two sets in a tie-break before wrapping up victory after Mayer dropped serve at 3-2 down in the third.
"The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic as our fans carried us throughout the contest," said Cilic.
Dodig added: "This is a once in a lifetime experience and I have to thank the fans for creating a fantastic atmosphere. We will be rooting for Marin to finish the job tomorrow."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Donald Trump links job numbers to a ‘great day’ for George Floyd
- Coronavirus New York records lowest number of daily coronavirus deaths since pandemic started
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- George Floyd George Floyd death: what do we know about the four police officers? Charges and backgrounds
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus How much money has been sent in stimulus checks and how much remains unsent?