The 2017 Tour of Qatar has been cancelled due to the lack of a financial sponor, the International Cycling Union (UCI) confirmed on Thursday.
The stage race, due to take place in Doha in February, was called off because of "difficulty attracting sponsor financial support," the UCI said in a statement late on Wednesday.
15 years of Tour of Qatar
The announcement is a blow to the sporting ambitions of Qatar which has hosted the race for 15 years.
The Gulf state is planning for the 2022 World Cup and has hosted the Asian soccer cup, the Men's Handball World Championship and the FINA World Swimming Championships.
Previous editions of Tour of Qatar have been won by top cyclists including Britain's Mark Cavendish and Belgium's Tom Boonen.
In October Qatar became the first Arab country to host the UCI Road World Championships, an event which was hailed by Qatar as a success but which detractors criticised for the heat and low fan turnout.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim