Shibasaki, brace scorer in Club World Cup final, signs for Tenerife
The Japanese player, whose profile was increased after scoring two goals for Kashima in the CWC final against Madrid, has been given his chance in Europe by Spanish side Tenerife.
Taking on a new challenge
CD Tenerife, the club currently sixth in the second tier of Spanish football, have confirmed that Japanese midfielder Gaku Shibasaki has joined the club. The signing comes on the final day of the January transfer window and gives the player a chance to prove himself on the most competitive footballing continent in the world.
Taking your chance in the limelight
Shibasaki came to the attention of many people in Europe after his club Kashimi Antlers qualified, surprisingly, for the final of the Club World Cup and faced Real Madrid in the Fifa showpiece. He then went on to score the two goals that took the game to extra-time, in a game that the European Champions were far from dominant, although did run out eventual winners.
After an excellent spell in Japan, Tenerife will have the services of the 24-year old until the end of the season on loan.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 How long after the booster shot are you fully vaccinated?
- COVID-19 What is the natural rate of unemployment formula?
- NFL Which QB has the most 400 yard passing games in the NFL?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano injures himself performing classic goal celebration
- LALIGA Barcelona: Gavi taken to hospital with concussion
- NBA LeBron James 'frustrated' and 'angry' with covid-19 protocols