FC Barcelona are set to elect Real Madrid’s Bernabéu as the club’s preferred venue for the Copa del Rey final on Saturday May 27.
While the Catalan outfit said on Wednesday that they would wait to find out the result of the second cup semifinal (in which Alavés triumphed over Celta Vigo) before making an official announcement on their intentions, it is understood that the Bernabéu will almost certainly be Los Cules' first choice.
Barça to put Bernabéu denial under spotlight?
That is to say, at the very least, Barça will want Real Madrid to say no (again) to hosting the final and hence put their rivals under the spotlight.
Indeed Real Madrid will, on yet another occasion, have the perfect excuse not to stage the event after similar refusals in recent years. That is because on the date of the final, the bulldozers will have moved in at the Bernabéu.
Los Blancos already stated during the club’s general assembly that work to remodel the stadium will begin directly after Madrid’s last game of the LaLiga season against Sevilla (May 13).
Atleti to spare Madrid from excuses?
That will not deter Barcelona though. The Catalans want there to be a debate over why Madrid can again oppose access to their stadium, which was the almost default host of the Copa del Rey final for decades, by citing construction works.
Barça are aware that Atletico Madrid, ironically, will likely be the ones to give Real Madrid a hand by insisting that the final is staged at the Vicente Calderón in order to give the ground a final send off before Rojiblances move to the Wanda Metropitano. Nonetheless, controversy awaits.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands