No final for Luis Suárez
Following his late sending off in the Copa del Rey semi-final second leg, the Spanish football disciplinary panel has turned down the player's appeal.
The Barcelona striker, Luis Suárez, has been unsuccessful in his attempt to get his sanction overturned by appeal. The disciplinary committee confirmed on Thursday that the Uruguayan would serve a two-match ban, including the Copa del Rey final.
It was a second yellow card late in the second leg against Atlético on Tuesday evening that saw Suárez sent to the changing rooms early and this would have resulted in a single game sanction. But as well as appealing the punishment, with clear hopes of playing in the final against Álaves, the player remained in the tunnel rather than heading straight to the changing room, as is required by the rules. This was noted in the referee's report and in the judge's decision.
Appeal of failed appeal
Barca, however, have confirmed that they will take the case to the RFEF's Appeals Committee, saying in a statement: "The argument of the appeal is based on the fact that at no moment did the Blaugrana player make an impact on the opposing player 'in a reckless way', as stated in the referee's report."
Busquets sees punishment removed
Also seeing red in that game at the Camp Nou was Sergi Roberto and he too will not play any part in the final. But better news for Barça came with the announcement that Sergio Busquets has had his yellow card rescinded.
The midfielder was shown a yellow for time-wasting after being judged by the referee to have kicked the ball away but Barca had argued that the midfielder was simply removing an extra ball from the pitch.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds