PSG 4 - 0 BARCELONA
PSG equal record European defeat for Barcelona in Paris
It was the fourth time that Barça had lost 4-0 in a Uefa club competition and it has sent shockwaves around world football with a mountain to climb for Luis Enrique
A Valentine's surprise for Barcelona
Barcelona went into tonight's Champions League first leg match against Paris Saint Germain as favourites with most bookmakers to lift the top prize in European club football. Few would have predicted the 4-0 scoreline at the end of the game in Paris.
Pain away for the third time
By winning the game by four goals without reply, Unai Emery inflicted the worst result ever recorded by a Barcelona team in European competition, although it has been done before, twice away from home. In 1994, Italian side AC Milan won by the same scoreline in the Athens final of the Champions League. More recently Bayern Munich won 4-0 in the first leg of the semi-final of the 2013 competition before dominating in the Camp Nou and making the final with a 7-0 aggregate scoreline. (The blaugrana have also lost 0-4 at home twice, most recently to Dynamo Kiev in 1997). ASTV put a short video together showing these matches.
Camp Nou miracle required
What happens in the second leg will of course decide who goes through to the quarter finals but even the most hardened of Barça fans will struggle to see their heroes turning this around based on the performance of both teams on the night.
Te recomendamos en English
- Ryder Cup: Garcia gets action underway at Whistling Straits
- Joshua v Usyk: AJ aims to keep it simple as Fury looms large over capital clash
- WORLD NEWS What has Biden said about the Evergrande crisis?
- NFL NFL: Chargers after another road win at Chiefs in big AFC West clash
- PSG Mbappé is a fantastic guy - Pochettino backs PSG forward
- BARCELONA Ronald Koeman receives two-match ban for red card