Second-half Atletico Madrid substitute Kevin Gameiro took exactly 4 minutes and 45 seconds to score three goals against Sporting Gijón in his side’s 4-1 win at El Molinón.
The Frenchman, who only came on in the 61st minute to replace Fernando Torres, completely changed the game with his stunning intervention, becoming the first ever Atletico Madrid player to bag a hat trick from the bench.
With the score at 1-1 and Diego Simeone’s side looking anything but in command, Gameiro scored his first in the 79th minute after a fantastic assist from Griezmann.
Gameiro joins exclusive super-sub hat trick club
Barely a minute later, the striker put in his second after capitalising on a Sporting defensive error. He then incredibly completed his hat trick in less than five minutes, slotting home on the 84’ mark to reach a total of nine goals in LaLiga this season and 12 in all competitions.
The Frenchman’s three quick-fire goals means his is the fastest hat-trick scored in LaLiga since 1995, when Deportivo La Coruña’s Bebeto managed five goals at Albacete, three of them in four minutes (similarly to Gamerio, the three came in the final ten minutes between 82’ and 86’).
The feat also sees Gameiro become only the fourth player in the history of the Spanish top-flight to score three goals as a substitute, joining Cuxart (Valencia), Soldado (Getafe) and Iborra (Sevilla), who did so earlier in this 2016/17 campaign.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong