Atlético Madrid have said Fernando Torres has "no alterations or traumatic injuries" after being rushed to hospital on Thursday evening.
Torres was taken from the field in an ambulance after being knocked out in a sickening clash of heads in Atlético's draw at Deportivo La Coruña.
Good news (1/2) @Torres has undergone a cranial and cervical CT. There are no alterations nor traumatic injuries— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) 2 March 2017
Collision with Depor's Bergantiños
The striker, who was brought on as a substitute on the hour mark, collided with Deportivo's Álex Bergantiños in an aerial challenge in the closing stages at Riazor.
Bergantiños accidentally caught Torres on the back of the head, with the 32-year-old falling to the turf and seemingly unconscious before he hit the ground.
The severity of the incident was quickly apparent, with both sets of players clearly shocked and urgently calling for medical attention.
TV images showed team-mate José María Giménez struggling to hold back tears.
Torres "stable, conscious and lucid"
Torres was immediately taken to the Hospital Modelo in A Coruña, where he underwent emergency scans that appear to have eased initial fears.
The forward is in a "stable, conscious and lucid" condition, according to an Atlético statement, with the club adding that he was to spend the night in hospital under observation "as per medical protocol".
Atlético ace tweets thanks: "Just a scare"
The ex-Liverpool, Chelsea and AC Milan man later posted a reassuring message on his Twitter account describing the injury as "just a scare".
He wrote: "Many thanks to everyone for your concern for me and for your messages of support. It was just a scare. I hope to be back very soon!"
Muchas gracias a todos por preocuparos por mí y por vuestros mensajes de ánimo. Ha sido sólo un susto. Espero volver muy pronto!— Fernando Torres (@Torres) 2 March 2017
Te recomendamos en English
- El Clásico Who is José María Sánchez Martínez, the referee for El Clásico 2021 Barcelona - Real Madrid?
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Real Madrid: injured and sanctioned players for El Clásico 2021
- Serie A Allegri dubs Inter title favourites ahead of Derby d'Italia
- NBA Nash cheers Nets first win: "It'll take a while, it won't be pretty"
- MLB Astros never doubted they would beat Red Sox admits Baker
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers