Málaga have moved quickly to replace El Gato Romero, who was sacked by the south coast club on Tuesday morning. Former Real Madrid Castilla, Getafe, Sevilla, Olympiacos and Marseille boss Míchel is to be officially unveiled as the club’s new coach on Tuesday afternoon after agreeing terms on an 18-month contract.
Málaga slump under El Gato
Míchel will bring his assistant coach, Juan Carlos Mandía, who was with the former Real Madrid midfielder at Marseille, and his fitness coach, José Vallejo, with him to Málaga. He will become the third manager at La Rosaleda this season after Juande Ramos, who resigned in December, and Romero, a former player who was a personal gamble on the part of the club’s owner, Abdullah Al-Thani. In 10 games in charge, El Gato lost seven and picked up just five points, leaving the club in 15th.
Míchel will oversee his first training session on Wednesday as he attempts to steady the ship until the end of the season. Málaga have been struggling for results in 2017 and have not found a distinctive playing style, which will be Míchel’s to impose.
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 7 de marzo de 2017
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski hoping to break NFL record
- NFL Who plays Monday Night football tonight, Week 13? Games, times, TV
- SOCCER Kylian Mbappé disappointed Real Madrid move falls through
- SOCCER Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life'
- REAL MADRID Benzema out for Inter clash but has one eye on Madrid derby