Málaga have moved quickly to replace El Gato Romero, who was sacked by the south coast club on Tuesday morning. Former Real Madrid Castilla, Getafe, Sevilla, Olympiacos and Marseille boss Míchel is to be officially unveiled as the club’s new coach on Tuesday afternoon after agreeing terms on an 18-month contract.
Málaga slump under El Gato
Míchel will bring his assistant coach, Juan Carlos Mandía, who was with the former Real Madrid midfielder at Marseille, and his fitness coach, José Vallejo, with him to Málaga. He will become the third manager at La Rosaleda this season after Juande Ramos, who resigned in December, and Romero, a former player who was a personal gamble on the part of the club’s owner, Abdullah Al-Thani. In 10 games in charge, El Gato lost seven and picked up just five points, leaving the club in 15th.
Míchel will oversee his first training session on Wednesday as he attempts to steady the ship until the end of the season. Málaga have been struggling for results in 2017 and have not found a distinctive playing style, which will be Míchel’s to impose.
- Roque Mesa1007Passes
*Update 7 de marzo de 2017
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands