The Netherlands Football Association (KNVB) have started talks with Louis van Gaal as they begin their search for a new coach. The KNVB want the former Manchester United manager to take on a senior role in the organisation rather than at the helm of their national team.
Brazil World Cup success
The 65-year-old Van Gaal, who led the Dutch to third place at the 2014 World Cup, was being earmarked for a major role in the KNVB, its chairman Michael van Praag told Dutch media as the body continues the process of overhauling its infrastructure.
Dutch at an all-time low
The Dutch have slumped to an all-time low of 32nd in the FIFA rankings and are in crisis after losing to Bulgaria last Saturday, slipping to fourth place in their World Cup qualifying group, six points off leaders France at the halfway stage.
Blind was fired less than 24 hours after the loss in Sofia and the process of appointing a replacement formally began on Wednesday, added KNVB commercial director Jean-Paul Decossaux.
Recommended in English
- NFL “Nobody is satisfied here” Brady and the Bucs are ready to take on the Eagles!
- NFL NFL: Rams' Weddle set for stunning playoff comeback against Cardinals
- NFL Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts: wild card appearances, stats and records
- USMNT Juventus boss praises USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie
- AFCON 2022 Khazri nets brace as Eagles of Carthage soar past the Lions
- AFCON 2022 Late blunder and Kessie miss cost Elephants