Atlético de Madrid will make the short journey across town to the Bernabéu for tomorrow's Champions League semi-final with the best figures the club has ever posted away from home. Saturday's 0-5 win at Las Palmas means Simeone's team has now enjoyed the best run any Atleti side has registered away from home in official competition with 15 games without defeat away from the Calderón.
Aragonés Atlético embark on unbeaten run
El Cholo's troops equal the previous club record of 15 games unbeaten on the road was set by Luis Aragonés' Atlético side during the 1984-85 season - El Sabio's team went 11 games in the league between Weeks 12 and 34 without defeat and strung together a nigh-on perfect Copa del Rey run, lifting the trophy after beating Athletic Club at the Bernabéu.Curiously, they also beat Real Madrid at the Bernabéu in that run - Hugo Sánchez, Roberto Marina and 'El Negro' Cabrera finding the net in the 0-4 win.
Simeone's Atlético's last away defeat was in December last year
The current Atlético side have not suffered defeat in their last 15 away trips. Their last defeat away from the Calderón was the 3-0 reverse to Villarreal on 12 December. Since then they have emerged unbeaten from a number of tough grounds, including the Bay Arena, the King Power in Leicester, Camp Nou, San Mamés and the Santiago Bernabéu. In their unbeaten run El Cholo's Atlético have recorded 8 victories and seven draws away from home since mid-December, scoring 29 goals and conceding 11. In contrast, Aragonés' Atleti registered 10 wins and five draws between the Cup and the league before Elche brought it all to an end, beating them 0-1 at the Nuevo Estadio on the final day of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth