Villarreal, Athletic and La Real wait on Copa result for UEL place
If Barcelona win the Spanish cup final, all three will qualify for the 17/18 Europa League. If Alaves win only two will play in Europe.
Despite the league campaign finishing this Sunday, Spanish representation in next season's European competitions will not be resolved until the following Saturday as Barça face Alaves in the Copa del Rey final on May 27.
Winning the Spanish cup automatically secures a Europa League placing for the victor, but with the Catalan side already guaranteed a Champions League berth, the cup now throws up various scenarios that impact on Villarreal, Athletic Club and Real Sociedad.
If Barça win the cup, then fifth, sixth and seventh will play in next seasons Europa League.
If Alavés lift the cup then only fifth and sixth secure European action next season. Winning the cup automatically dictates a place in the group phase but in the case of a Barcelona cup win, seventh in the league would need to participate in two play off rounds.
Athletic are away at Atletico Madrid in the last competitive game for "Los Colchoneros" at the Vicente Calderon. Real Sociedad play in Vigo and Villarreal play Valencia in the "Derby de la Comunitat"
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped