Diego Simeone summoned Fernando Torres to his office at Atlético's sports complex in Majadahonda last Friday. With the season drawing to a close, the Argentine coach was keen to set the record straight with various of Atleti's senior players. As on other occasions, it was a sincere and open conversation between the two who discussed the state of play going into the pre-season. Simeone was straight with the 33-year-old forward; “Fernando, I am counting on you for next season”, Simeone began, before explaining the club's situation regarding the FIFA transfer ban. Everyone in Simeone's squad knows the score - planning the team for the new campaign depends on the Court of Arbitration's decision on the club's appeal against a FIFA-enforced transfer ban.
Simeone looking to sign two strikers
El Cholo told Torres that if Atlético's appeal against the ban fails, he will be the first choice in the Rojiblanco attack next season. But if the club is successful, his idea is to bolster the attack with two additional centre-forwards - ideally, players with whom Torres will have to compete to earn his place. The next step, once Atlético are informed of the decision made by CAS, will be to reach a contractual agreement with Torres. Simeone hopes all of this will unravel all in good time. Torres has made it clear that his intention is to stay on with Atlético, and be part of the squad when the club moves to the new stadium, explaining that as far as he is concerned, reaching an agreement will be very easy.
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston