Chapecoense: Former football club chief says sorry over quip
Ex-L'Hospitalet president Miguel García staged a hasty climb-down after inadvertently taunting the Brazilians during the Trofeo Joan Gamper.Chelsea - Barcelona U - 19 live: UEFA Youth League final
The ex-president of Spanish third-tier club CE L'Hospitalet has apologised after mocking Chapecoense, Barcelona's Trofeo Joan Gamper opponents, on Twitter.
2017 Joan Gamper organised as tribute to Chapecoense
Los Azulgranas hosted Chapecoense in their annual pre-season invitational fixture on Monday evening, in a match that served as a tribute to the Brazilians, whose squad was decimated by a plane crash last November.
Goals by Gerard Deulofeu, Sergio Busquets, Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez and Denis Suárez saw the LaLiga giants win 5-0 on an emotional night for the visitors.
García taunts Barcelona opponents, then stages climb-down
But as he watched the game, Miguel García - now a town councillor in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, located just outside the Catalan capital - took to social media with a post not entirely in line with the spirit of the occasion.
Madre mía #eljoanpalomo 😂😂😂. El rival que ha traído el Barça no podría jugar en España ni en liga de casados contra solteros.— Miguel García (@MiguelGardelVa) 7 de agosto de 2017
"Madre mía," García tweeted. "The opponents Barça have brought over couldn't play in Spain even in a married-versus-singles league."
Having attracted widespread criticism for his remark, García then published two further tweets in which he said he had been unaware of the away team's identity when he posted the original message.
Pido humildemente disculpas por el error que he cometido al editar el tuit que hablaba del rival del Barça Hoy en el Gamper. 1/2.— Miguel García (@MiguelGardelVa) 7 de agosto de 2017
Aunque es justo decir, que cuando he editado el tuit, no me he dado cuenta que era el Chapecoense. Siento enormemente mi error.— Miguel García (@MiguelGardelVa) 7 de agosto de 2017
García: "I hadn't realised it was Chapecoense"
"I unreservedly apologise for the mistake I made when writing the tweet that talked about Barça's opponents in the Gamper today.
"When I wrote the tweet, I hadn't realised it was Chapecoense. I'm hugely sorry for my mistake."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 3 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Tokyo Olympics: Warholm breaks own record of 46-second in 400 m hurdle gold run
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS How many Olympic medals has Simone Biles? What's her position in US historical ranking?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: Belarus must answer to IOC over Tsimanouskaya saga
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis