Santiago Bernabéu referendum response is Spanish flag show
Thousands of cards with a message of Spanish solidarity were distributed ahead of the Real Madrid vs Espanyol game as a response to what happened in Barcelona.
Real Madrid fans descended on the Santiago Bernabéu on Sunday 1 October for the final Liga game of the weekend. And in response to the controversial referendum taking place in Catalonia there was an abundance of Spanish flags to be seen in the stands. There were also cards made specifically for the occasion.
Call to Spaniards on minute 12
Ahead of the game, cards were distributed in the streets around the stadium. These posters had the national flag on one side and the reverse read:
"Keep this in your pocket and on the 12th minute lift them up showing the flag, because we are the 12th man and WE ARE ALL SPAIN"
As the stadium clock clicked to 12:00 the cards and flags went up around the stadium and the famous national chant of '¡Que viva España!' rang clear.
Recommended in English
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- SOCCER Copa Libertadores Final Flamengo vs. Palmeiras: preview, times, TV and how to watch online
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SOCCER 2022 World Cup inter-confederation play-off draw: fixtures and format
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?
- BARCELONA Xavi wants Ousmane Dembélé to stay at Barcelona