Aduriz becomes eighth top scorer in Europa League history
The Athletic Bilbao striker's goal against Östersund put him equal with Peruvian Pizarro across the history of the competition both in its Europa League and Uefa Cup formats.
Aritz Aduriz, scorer of the first goal for Athletic Bilbao in the 2-2 draw with Swedish side Östersund, now has a total of 24 goals in the Europa League and goes level with Peruvian striker, Claudio Pizarro, as the eighth top scorer in the history of the continental competition.
It should be made clear that this record applies not only to the Europa League renaming, which came in the 2009/10 season, but to the full life of the Uefa competition which has been going since 1971.
Europa League top marksmen
Still ahead of Aduriz and Pizarro are Sweden's Henrik Larsson (40 goals), Holland's Klass-Jan Huntelaar (34), Colombia's Radamel Falcao (31), Germany's Gerd Müller (29), Giorgia's Shota Arveladze (27), Italy's Sandro Altobelli (25) and Croatia's Mladen Petric (25).
In only it's new format, not including the preliminary rounds, the Spanish striker sits third best on 19 goals behind Falcao (30) and Paraguay's Oscar Cardozo (20).
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness