Cristiano Ronaldo is yet to find the net in the new San Mamés
Real Madrid's Portuguese striker has not scored in four visits to Athletic's new stomping ground, a record compounded further by the red card he picked up on his first outing.
Real Madrid's Saturday evening visit to San Mamés (20:45 CET) to play Athletic Club will mark Cristiano Ronaldo's fifth visit since the Basque club unveiled their new ground in 2013. On his previous four outings he has failed to find the net - one of the few stadiums on which he is yet to leave his mark. In the old San Mamés it was a different story, however, with the Portuguese striker scoring on four occasions.
Furthermore, Ronaldo has not been at his best, or on his best behaviour, on the new San Mamés stage. On his first visit, ten minutes after providing an assist for Jesé, he was sent off for striking Gurpegui and subsequently becoming embroiled in an altercation with Iturraspe, an incident which resulted in a three-game ban.
The boy with the thorn in his side
The past two visits have ended in Madrid wins, both 1-2 victories, just without Ronaldo getting among the goals. Last season he was in the thick of it with two assists (for Benzema and Casemiro), although he was clearly irked when substituted in the second half, and was caught on camera mouthing the words "why me". Saturday evening poses a chance to remove one of the few LaLiga thorns in his side.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Parents charged after Michigan school shooting: what is involuntary manslaughter?
- NFL What are the most common injuries in NFL?
- SOCCER Real Madrid: Ancelotti encourages Mbappé to follow his dreams
- Real Madrid Gareth Bale close to making Real Madrid return
- BARCELONA Barcelona hoping to offload Samuel Umtiti in January
- NBA Jordan, Shaq, Harden... The players who led to NBA rule changes