Sergio Ramos' red card record makes grim reading
The Real Madrid captain was dismissed for a second booking against Athletic Club. He now has been sent off more times than any other player in LaLiga - 19 times.
His protective mask didn't bring him much luck in Bilbao last night - Sergio Ramos was sent off with four minutes of normal time remaining at San Mamés after being issued a second booking by match official Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz. The Real Madrid skipper was booked for committing the same offence twice - going for a high ball leading with his elbow: first, challenging for a ball with Raúl García on 10 minutes, then for doing the same on Aritz Aduriz on 86 minutes.
Ramos with LaLiga's worst disciplinary record
It means that Ramos now has the dubious honour of being the player to have been sent off more than anyone else in LaLiga history. A record he previously shared with former Sevilla defender Pablo Alfaro and ex-Zaragoza hard-man, Xavi Aguado, but now holds outright on his own. Ramos has seen 19 cards in the league during his career at Sevilla and Real Madrid over 416 games. And including other competitions, he has been sent off 24 times.
In Bilbao, Ramos was visibly angry with Mateu Lahoz - it was the first time the centre-back had been ordered off by the ref in LaLiga. “Sergio didn't think he deserved a yellow card in the second incident...”, Zidane said in a Flash interview after the game. His brother and agent René meanwhile, posted a message of support on social media: “He may have been wrong but you have to play a lot of games - including ones with a broken nose, to be sent off 19 times. Legend, whatever anyone says”.
Ramos will miss Wednesday's home game against his old club Sevilla and will return for El Clásico on 23 December.
LaLiga's red card kings:
19 - Ramos
18 - Alfaro
18 - Aguado
17 - Juanito
15 - Pachi Salinas
14 - Hierro
14 - Lopo
14 - Santi
13 - Marchena
13 - Pochettino
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?