Calf injury rules Iniesta out of Sporting Lisbon game
The Barça midfielder asked to be replaced in the second half of Barcelona's 2-2 draw at home to Celta Vigo, but could make a return to face Villarreal next weekend.
Andres Iniesta will miss Tuesday's Champions League game with Sporting Lisbon (20:45 CET), the Catalan club confirmed on Sunday.
One game out
Barcelona released a statement confirming that the man from La Mancha had picked up a calf strain after he asked to be replaced in the second-half of Barca's 2-2 draw at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday. Nevertheless, he could return as early as next weekend for Los Culés visit to Villarreal (Sunday, 20:45 CET).
Rotations and injuries
Iniesta is unlikely to be the only permanent fixture in Barça's starting line-up not to feature on Tuesday, with Ernesto Valverde set to rest a number of key players after his side are already guaranteed top spot in Group D with a game to spare. However, the coming games may not be headache-free given that injury problems are mounting for the Barça coach, with influential centre-back Samuel Umtiti ruled out for two months after tearing his hamstring on Saturday.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?