Valverde: “When asked to play, Vermaelan has responded”
Barcelona manager, Ernesto Valverde, says he sees Thomas Vermaelen playing very well and discussed other possibilities at centre-half should something go wrong.
Ernesto Valverde spoke to beIN after Barcelona beat Sporting Club de Portugal to finish the group stages unbeaten.
Samuel Umtiti is out for two months and Valverde needs solutions at centre-half. He played Thomas Vermaelen there on Tuesday night and the manager was happy with the Belgian's performance. "I see him playing very well. He competes well, and is strong in the tackle. He breaks up play well. When he has been asked to play, he always responds."
Another option is Sergio Busquets at centre-half beside Gerard Piqué. "That is one of the solutions that we can try if there is a problem. I didn't want to risk the whole game with my two centre-backs. It is a possible solution," Valverde said with a big game coming up against Sevilla at the weekend.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement