Peru's Guerrero out of World Cup after being given drugs ban
Paolo Guerrero is to miss Russia 2018 after Fifa slapped the Peru captain with a one-year suspension for failing a drugs test in October.
Peru captain Paolo Guerrero will miss the World Cup after been banned from football for a year for failing a drugs test, Fifa's disciplinary committee announced on Friday.
Flamengo striker Guerrero tested positive in October
The 33-year-old forward, who plays for Brazilian giants Flamengo, was handed the ban after "testing positive for cocaine metabolite benzoylecgonine".
The drug control came following a match in Argentine capital Buenos Aires on 5 October, the world football governing body's watchdog said in a statement.
The ex-Bayern Munich striker missed Peru's World Cup play-off victory over New Zealand after being provisionally suspended for 30 days for the offence on 3 November.
That ban was then extended by 20 days on Tuesday before the final verdict was given on Friday.
Russia 2018 is Peru's first World Cup in 36 years
Guerrero will now sit out Peru's first finals since 1982, depriving the country of one of its most important attacking players as it prepares to face France, Australia and Denmark in Group C.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7