Cristiano Ronaldo equal with Pelé
The Real Madrid striker scored against Gremio in the final of the Club World Cup and equalled Pelé's record of seven goals in the Intercontinental Cup in 1962 and 1963.
Cristiano Ronaldo has had a great reaction to the Ballon d'Or. Since picking up the award he's become the first player in history to score in every game of the group phase of the Champions League and the top scorer of all time in the Club World Cup, after his goal against Al Jazira. He had been level on five goals in the competition with Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez and César Delgado.
Ronaldo level with 'O Rei'
With six goals, Ronaldo only had Pelé in front of him, with the Brazilian star having taken part in the old version of the competition, the Intercontinental Cup. Pelé scored a total of seven goals in the final in 1962 and 1963 with Santos (five against Benfica and two against Milan). With his goal against Gremio, Ronaldo is now level with 'O Rei' in the entire history of the competition in both its formats, with both on seven goals. The Brazilian though bagged his in just five games, while Ronaldo took nine.
Ronaldo's goals in the Club World Cup
18/12/2008: Gamba Osaka 3 - Manchester United 5 (Cristiano: one goal).
15/12/2016: América 0 - Real Madrid 2 (Cristiano: one goal).
18/12/2016: Kashima Antlers 2 - Real Madrid 4 (Cristiano: three goals).
13/12/2017: Al Jazira 1 - Real Madrid 2 (Cristiano: one goal).
16/12/2017: Gremio - Real Madrid (Cristiano: one goal).
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NBA Mavs’ Luka Doncic admits having conditioning issues