Barcelona say no guard of honour for Real Madrid at Clásico
Guillermo Amor, the director of Institutional Relations at Barcelona says the club have decided they will not make a guard of honour for Real Madrid's Club World Cup win.Chelsea - Barcelona U - 19 live: UEFA Youth League final
Guillermo Amor, the director of Institutional Relations at Barcelona, announced on Movistar Partidazo after the demolition of Depor at the Camp Nou that Ernesto Valverde's side will not make a guard of honour next Saturday at the Clásico after Real Madrid won the Club World Cup final.
"We make it clear that we only do this when we participate in the competition. When we compete in the competition, we will do it but in this case, that's the way it is," he said as Barcelona as a club believe that not competing in the Club World Cup means they have no need to make a guard of honour for their rivals.
El clásico: "The distance between us and Real Madrid is good. It's eleven points now but we have other rivals who are closer. To get something positive would be good. We will go at them, I think, to win. It would be a good time to do it but we have to see how Madrid come into it. We have to congratulate Real Madrid for their success but we have to go there. We will go to play well and give a good account of ourselves."
Valverde on the guard of honour: "It has been a long week, and I haven't thought about it. It's a bit strange..."
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online