French league suspend goal-line technology after "serious errors"
The French league (LFP) has decided to "immediately suspend" the use of GLT after various malfunctions, however, VAR is still planned for next season.
The French league (LFP) has decided to "immediately suspend" the use of goal-line technology after a series of glitches with the system, LFP director general Didier Quillot said on Thursday.
Goal line tech errors lead to suspension
The decision covers all matches under the jurisdiction of the LFP, notably Ligue 1 and the French League Cup, and comes in the wake of two errors during Wednesday's League Cup quarter-finals.
"Last night unfortunately the GLT experienced two serious malfunctions in the Amiens-PSG match -- the GLT didn't make the referee's watch vibrate and it was the video assistant who awarded the goal -- and a second incident in Angers-Montpellier where the GLT wrongly caused the referee's watch to vibrate," Quillot explained.
"These two irregularities are unacceptable, especially as they occur just after we put GoalControl on notice," he said, adding that the system in its current state "was not reliable".
VAR being trialled for Ligue 1 introduction
The LFP last month had warned GoalControl, the company that provides the GLT system, that its contract with the French league could be terminated if further problems arose.
France is also trialling the video assistant referee (VAR) system in the League Cup -- from the quarter-finals onwards -- with a view to introducing it in Ligue 1 next season.
It has also encountered hitches while being tested by several countries, although FIFA is hoping to use the VAR at this year's World Cup in Russia.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands