Míchel: Málaga sack coach
Head coach Míchel González has been sacked by relegation-threatened Málaga following Friday's 1-0 LaLiga defeat away to Getafe.
LaLiga strugglers Málaga have sacked head coach Míchel González in the wake of Friday night's defeat to Getafe, it has been announced.
Míchel fired with Málaga deep in relegation trouble
Míchel, who was appointed in March 2017, steered Málaga to an 11th-placed finish last season after taking over with the club threatened by relegation.
But having won only three LaLiga games so far this term, the 54-year-old departs with the Andalusians now languishing in 19th, five points from safety.
The 1-0 loss at Getafe, which left Málaga with just 11 points at the halfway stage of the campaign, proved the final straw for the board at La Rosaleda.
Change in coach needed, say Málaga
"Míchel González arrived last season during a very difficult situation, and the coach was able to turn things around and end the season in a mid-table position," Málaga said in a statement on their official website.
"Unfortunately, since the beginning of this campaign, the team has been unable to achieve a string of good results to move out of the relegation zone, and the Club deems this action necessary to seek that reaction.
"From Málaga CF, we thank coach, Míchel González for his professionalism and conduct, and wish him every success for the future."
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?