Nantes president demands ban after referee kicks Carlos
PSG won 1-0 at Nantes but referee Tony Chapron stole the headlines by kicking out at Diego Carlos before sending off the home defender.
Nantes president Waldemar Kita wants Tony Chapron to be banned for six months after he kicked out at defender Diego Carlos during Sunday's 1-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain – labelling the referee to be "a joke".
Angel Di Maria scored the only goal at the Stade de la Beaujoire to open up an 11-point lead at the summit for Unai Emery's men but it was Chapron who took centre stage as the events quickly descended into farce during stoppage time.
Carlos was running forward in support of a last-ditch Nantes counter-attack and collided with Chapron, who fell to the turf. As he tumbled, the official kicked out at the Brazilian centre-back, who had already been booked, and appeared to catch him on the shin.
GRANDE DIEGO— FC Nantes (@FCNantes) January 14, 2018
Soyons fiers de cette équipe pic.twitter.com/T9fhzTDSOw
Carlos then protested as the official got to his feet but was met with a second yellow card.
"It's a joke," Kita told L'Equipe. "I received 20 SMS [messages] from all over the world telling me that this referee is a joke.
"What do you want me to say to you? If I talk too much, I will be summoned by an ethics committee. We have no right to say anything. It's scandalous to see that."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In