Sané: Manchester City confirm ankle ligament damage
Scans have shown Leroy Sané has injured his ankle ligaments but Manchester City are not sure how long he will be out of action.
Manchester City have confirmed winger Leroy Sané sustained ankle ligament damage in their 2-0 FA Cup fourth-round win over Cardiff City.
Sané injured in tackle by Cardiff's Bennett in FA Cup
The Germany international was substituted at half-time of Sunday's game after being hurt by a challenge from Joe Bennett.
Scans on Monday showed the extent of his injury, although City are reluctant to estimate the length of Sané's absence.
"No timeline has yet been set for his return," read a statement by the Premier League leaders on Monday evening.
Thanks for all your messages yesterday and today! I suffered ankle ligament damage, but I think it isn't as bad as it looked. 😉 My rehab will start soon and I'm motivated to be back on the pitch as soon as possible! 🔥⚽🔥 #inSané #LS19 @ManCity pic.twitter.com/WQCpdFrgjO— Leroy Sané (@LeroySane19) 29 January 2018
Guardiola expecting Sané to be "out for a while"
Manager Pep Guardiola said he expected Sané to be "out for a while" and suggested he could be missing for a month or possibly longer.
The 22-year-old has been in spectacular form for the Premier League leaders this season, scoring 11 goals in all competitions.
City to play 2013 final victors Wigan in next round
City have been drawn to face Wigan Athletic, who beat the Sky Blues in the 2013 final, in the fifth round of the FA Cup.
Recommended in English
- NFL Wide receiver to wide back, the evolution being driven by the 49ers Deebo Samuel
- NFL Playoff Power Rankings: Packers, Rams, Chiefs | NFL Playoffs
- NFL NFL Wild Card Review: Games, Conclusions and Reflections
- AFCON Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria: AFCON, times, TV and how to watch online
- AFCON AFCON Group D matchday preview: Egypt vs Sudan and Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria
- Middleton admits Bucks need a Holiday from sorry slide as Grizzlies come into view