Argentina boss Sampaoli open to Carlos Tévez recall
The Boca Juniors forward vowed to fight for a place in Argentina's World Cup squad and Jorge Sampaoli will not rule him out.
Jorge Sampaoli would be open to handing Carlos Tévez an Argentina recall ahead of the World Cup in Russia.
Tévez played the full 90 minutes of Boca Juniors' 2-0 win over Colón on Sunday, his first Superliga appearance since returning from a season with Shanghai Shenhua in the Chinese Super League.
The 33-year-old has reiterated his desire to compete with the likes of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Sergio Agüero and Mauro Icardi for a place on the flight to Russia, and Sampaoli is not ruling him out.
"There is a group of people who work to know the current status of some players who are not on our list in case one stands out. If Tévez stands out, he will be analysed," Sampaoli told reporters.
"No one is unaware of Tévez's attributes. When I was a coach I wanted to take him to Sevilla for the Champions League. Any player that excelled will be watched closely."
Tévez: "I'm not going to make it easy for Sampaoli"
Sampaoli's comments came after Tévez, who last featured for Argentina in October 2015, vowed to convince the coach of his worth.
"I'm not giving up the fight for the World Cup," Tévez told La Red radio.
"I'm not going to make it easy for Sampaoli. If Sampaoli has doubts, it would be nice to break them in the next four months."
Boca are six points clear at the top of the Superliga and will take on River Plate in the Super Copa in March.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In