Chelsea seal swoop for Emerson from Roma
Roma full-back Emerson Palmieri has joined Chelsea as competition for Marcos Alonso at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea have announced the arrival of Brazilian full-back Emerson Palmieri from Roma.
Emerson, who is still working his way back to full fitness after a serious knee injury, is believed to have cost an initial £17.5million and has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract.
The 23-year-old will provide competition for incumbent left-back Marcus Alonso following a move that was facilitated by Kenedy's loan exit to Newcastle United.
Negotiations over a potential double-signing involving Roma striker Edin Dzeko stalled and Chelsea had to settle for a deal that does not include the former Manchester City target man.
Emerson, who began his career at Santos in Brazil, arrived in Serie A on loan at Palermo in August 2014. He joined Roma the following season but was only signed permanently in December 2016.
"I came here because it’s a great team with a great history," the defender told the club's official website. "Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club.
"English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it."
Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: "We are delighted to welcome Emerson to the club. He is a young and talented player who strengthens the squad and will provide excellent competition for places as we pursue success in three different competitions."
Te recomendamos en English
- euro 2020 Magic moment when Mbappé and Cristiano exchange shirts
- GOLD CUP Is Alphonso Davies playing at the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup?
- EURO 2020 Daei congratulates Ronaldo after star equals international goals record
- NBA Young erupts for 48-point double-double as Hawks beat Bucks in Game 1
- NBA NBA playoffs 2021: Paul cleared to play Game 3, Clippers' Kawhi ruled out again
- EURO 2020 Benzema's "pride and joy" at ending long France wait