Aubameyang: Arsenal complete club-record signing of striker
Gabon international forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has signed for Arsenal on a "long-term contract", it has been confirmed.
Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has joined Arsenal for what the Gunners have described as a "club-record fee", reported to be £56 million (63.7 million euros), both clubs confirmed on Wednesday.
The 28-year-old Gabon striker, who scored 141 goals for Dortmund after moving to Germany in 2013, has signed a "long-term contract", the North London club said.
Aubameyang arrival set to see Giroud leave Emirates
His transfer fee outstrips the £46.5 million that Arsenal paid for French striker Alexandre Lacazette last August. Aubameyang's arrival is likely to lead to the departure of veteran marksman Olivier Giroud.
Arsenal described him as "one of the world's most highly-rated strikers".
Nearly a century of goals in 144 Bundesliga appearances
"He scored 98 goals in 144 Bundesliga games for Dortmund and had a hand in 172 goals in 213 matches in all competitions for his former club," it continued. "That works out at an average of 96 minutes per goal or assist.
"Auba is the Gabon captain and all-time top goalscorer, and became the first Gabonese winner of the African Footballer of the Year award in 2015."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze