Lewis Dunk equals Premier League season own goals record
The Brighton and Hove Albion defender put through his own net for the fourth time in the 4-1 victory over Swansea, matching Martin Skrtel's mark in 2013-14.
Brighton and Hove Albion's Lewis Dunk equalled the record number of own goals scored in a single Premier League season by netting his fourth against Swansea City on Saturday.
The centre-back's misfortune ultimately counted for little as Brighton ran out comfortable 4-1 winners to end Swansea's 10-match unbeaten run in all competitions.
But he did earn an unfortunate share of history when he got in the way of Tammy Abraham's long-range effort five minutes from time.
Dunk needs one to beat Martin Skrtel
4 - Lewis Dunk has scored four own goals in the Premier League this term - the joint-most by a player in a single season in the competition's history (also Martin Skrtel in 2013-14). Oops— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 24, 2018
The ball took a hefty touch off Dunk and flew past the helpless Mat Ryan, giving Swansea the slightest glimmer of hope before Jurgen Locadia restored the three-goal advantage.
It was Dunk's fourth own goal of the season, following unintended efforts against Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.
He moves level with Martin Skrtel, who set the record during the 2013-14 season at Liverpool.
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?