Lewis Dunk equals Premier League season own goals record
The Brighton and Hove Albion defender put through his own net for the fourth time in the 4-1 victory over Swansea, matching Martin Skrtel's mark in 2013-14.
Brighton and Hove Albion's Lewis Dunk equalled the record number of own goals scored in a single Premier League season by netting his fourth against Swansea City on Saturday.
The centre-back's misfortune ultimately counted for little as Brighton ran out comfortable 4-1 winners to end Swansea's 10-match unbeaten run in all competitions.
But he did earn an unfortunate share of history when he got in the way of Tammy Abraham's long-range effort five minutes from time.
Dunk needs one to beat Martin Skrtel
4 - Lewis Dunk has scored four own goals in the Premier League this term - the joint-most by a player in a single season in the competition's history (also Martin Skrtel in 2013-14). Oops— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 24, 2018
The ball took a hefty touch off Dunk and flew past the helpless Mat Ryan, giving Swansea the slightest glimmer of hope before Jurgen Locadia restored the three-goal advantage.
It was Dunk's fourth own goal of the season, following unintended efforts against Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.
He moves level with Martin Skrtel, who set the record during the 2013-14 season at Liverpool.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In