Congested fixture list hurting Barcelona - Valverde
Just three days separate Barcelona's next two games and Ernesto Valverde feels the fixture list is hurting them.
Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde conceded the timing of Thursday's LaLiga clash with Las Palmas, which comes just three days before a crucial clash with closest challengers Atlético de Madrid, is detrimental to the team.
Mid-week action in Spain
The league leaders are seven points ahead of Atlético, but their advantage could be trimmed to four by the time they kick off against Las Palmas, a fixture that takes place 24 hours after Diego Simeone's men face Leganés. A win for Barça against Atlético on Sunday could go a long way to deciding the destination of the title and Valverde hinted at dissatisfaction with their opponents being given an extra day's rest.
Asked if the fixture list is hurting Barça, Valverde replied: "Yes, this week. Each team has moments throughout the season in which there's less time between matches to rest. There are a lot of questions and reasons why the schedule is the way it is. Normally when two teams have a day free they normally play that day. We have a long trip, it's not Atletico's fault. A lot of time they play on Thursday because of the Europa League and then they have to play Sunday. I've been there. There's nothing you can do, they're different competitions. Considering the importance of Sunday's game, it's something to think about. We just have to play the game."
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Will Amazon accept Bitcoin as a payment method?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 26 July
- Child Tax Credit $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: what are the IRS warnings about payment scams?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: why does the Delta variant spread so fast?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many surfing world titles has Carissa Moore won?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TENNIS Who are Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka's parents?