CONCACAF Champions League Review: Sounders, Red Bulls into quarter-finals
Clint Dempsey and Nicolas Lodeiro helped the Seattle Sounders book their spot in the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals.
The Seattle Sounders and New York Red Bulls moved into the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals on Thursday.
A Sounder victory will be hard to find
Trailing 2-1 on aggregate against Santa Tecla, the Sounders got the job done at home, crushing their opponents 4-0 at CenturyLink Field.
However, Seattle needed until the second half to claim their win and set up a meeting with Guadalajara.
Will Bruin made it 1-0 when he tapped in a Nicolas Lodeiro cross in the 47th minute.
Lodeiro went from provider to goalscorer with 21 minutes remaining, heading in a Clint Dempsey cross from the left.
The Sounders kept pushing and struck twice more, Chad Marshall heading in a Lodeiro corner before Magnus Eikrem scored after combining with Dempsey.
Red Bulls fly over Olimpia
In New Jersey, the Red Bulls recorded a 2-0 win over Olimpia to progress 3-1 on aggregate.
Bradley Wright-Phillips opened the scoring in the 54th minute with a brilliant turn and finish from 25 yards.
Sean Davis sealed the win 10 minutes later, his deflected strike from distance making it 2-0.
The Red Bulls will face Tijuana in the last eight.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth