Gimenez primed for Messi Camp Nou duel
Jose Maria Gimenez knows he will face the best player in the world in Lionel Messi when Atletico travel to Barcelona with the title on the line.
Atletico Madrid defender Jose Gimenez knows a cool head will be required when he comes face-to-face with Lionel Messi on Sunday.
Barcelona host Atleti at Camp Nou, with Diego Simeone's side having trimmed their once imposing advantage at LaLiga's summit to five points.
The Rojiblancos' title challenge has been built upon the foundations of a rock solid defence.
Gimenez's alliance with skipper and fellow Uruguay international Diego Godin at centre-back is formidable and Atleti have only been breached 11 times in 26 top-flight matches.
Anoche sacamos adelante otros puntos importantes. Seguimos nuestro camino pic.twitter.com/s5WVMwazFC— Jose Maria Gimenez (@JoseMaGimenez13) March 1, 2018
Nevertheless, the 23-year-old knows Messi presents a challenge like no other.
"There are some players who prefer to wait with him and others go all or nothing," he explained in an interview with AS journalist Patricia Cazon.
"I think that with Messi we have to take a break, because you can have the last-minute dribble where he takes everyone out. "I think that to face him you need that time to pause because you know that you can be dribbled past at any time. We all know who is the best player in the world.
"As much as you study or play 35 times against him, you know what he is going to do and the result is the same. That makes him not only different; it makes him the best. "He is class A. With him you know you have to wait for the unexpected."
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In