Simeone and Atlético chasing impossible dream again
Atletico Madrid return to the scene of their incredible 2013-14 LaLiga title triumph on Sunday, with Barcelona in their sights once more.
Diego Simeone has challenged Atletico Madrid to make the impossible possible once again when they travel to Barcelona in Sunday's LaLiga title showdown.
Atleti have trimmed Barca's once formidable lead at the summit to five points, thanks to a run of eight wins and a draw over nine top-flight matches in 2018.
Such exploits have evoked memories of their 2013-14 title triumph, when Diego Godín's goal secured a 1-1 final-day draw at Camp Nou to pip Barca to glory.
Simeone: "We made the impossible possible"
"It's impossible to win LaLiga if you look at the statistics," Simeone told a pre-match news conference.
"In the past 14 years, La Liga was for Real Madrid or Barcelona and only Villarreal made it one season to be second.
"So you can say it’s impossible and we made the impossible possible because we won it one year. So [this time] it will be very difficult.
"Our plans is the same as always, get to the last five games and still have a chance to win it. If we do that we can make it."
Atletico's miserly defence has laid the foundation for their title charge, conceding a mere 11 goals in 26 LaLiga games, but the form of reported Barcelona target Antoine Griezmann has breathed fire into their ambitions.
The France star followed up a hat-trick in the 5-2 win at Sevilla last weekend by scoring every goal in the 4-0 win over Leganés on Wednesday, his alliance with Diego Costa since the latter's return from Chelsea proving particularly potent.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds